Life with Uncle Dave

I’m a crotchety old Man living on Social Security and my wits in a trailer in the woods of Alabama. In this Blog you are likely to find ponderings and complaints about medical treatment in America, Stories about my friends and family, Rants about the economy and lots of stuff about J. Edgar Dogg, my best friend and the dumbest animal in Alabama.

Sunday, April 23, 2006

Food and Congratulations

Well here we are. I have no idea what I am going to write about today.

I just had a great Sunday dinner, maybe I could talk about that.

First, I got a frozen chicken breast out and set it to thaw in my frying pan. After an hour it had just a little section in the middle that was still hard so I dried it off with paper towels and set aside on the cutting board. After cleaning the water out of the pan, I turned on the heat and put some butter in to melt. I next seasoned the chicken with coarse black pepper, garlic powder and Old Bay seasoning (both sides of course.) When the butter was sizzling I turned the heat down to just below half speed and put in the chicken. Two minutes on the first side and four on the second side. While it was cooking I scrubbed a small sweet potato and nuked it for four and a half minutes. When the chicken was done I let it rest for a few minutes then cut it up into bite sized pieces. When the sweet potato was done I cut it in half lengthwise and put in a generous amount of butter. To drink with my meal I had a 32-oz. glass of water. I salted nothing although there was some salt in the butter and in the garlic powder. I am now looking at the plate with only a sweet potato skin and a little melted butter on it and remembering how much I enjoyed eating it.

You might deduce from my description that food safety is not a high priority in my life. You would be correct. More specifically, I don’t fear food. Primarily, I think that a judicious application of high heat will kill most of the things in a piece of chicken that might hurt me and I do wash my hands a lot as well as clean my cutting board ever time it touches raw meat.

Later I plan to have a can of spinach, dried heated and mixed with a little béchamel sauce. Also a can of smoked oysters. Heck of a supper!

J. Edgar gets dry dog food. Not exactly exciting but healthy and as that’s all he ever gets, he doesn’t know to complain or ask for something else.

My sister Marlene is graduating from college this Friday. She will have a bachelor’s degree in Electronics Technology. I am very proud of her; she is the first and only family member of my generation to get a degree. She has worked hard and sacrificed much to get to where she is.

"WELL DONE!"

I have to end this now, the Dogg wants to check his e-mail.

Uncle Dave

4 Comments:

At April 23, 2006 6:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

DID YOU THINK I WOULD"NT READ THIS?

Do you really think I'm stupid?

That's it! I want steak... NOW!

Boy, you steped in it this time.

 
At April 23, 2006 6:10 PM, Blogger Uncle Dave said...

Whoops!

 
At April 24, 2006 1:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tell the dogg if he wants meat, to go out and get it himself. but make sure whatever it is is in season....

 
At May 05, 2006 9:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was a wonderful description of dinner,Shows you have something to do..lol
Tell JED he gets the same as Honey and she is happy to get that.
My Congratulations to your sister,thats a wonderful achievement

 

Post a Comment

<< Home