Life with Uncle Dave

I’m a crotchety old Man living on Social Security and my wits in a trailer in the woods of Alabama. In this Blog you are likely to find ponderings and complaints about medical treatment in America, Stories about my friends and family, Rants about the economy and lots of stuff about J. Edgar Dogg, my best friend and the dumbest animal in Alabama.

Saturday, October 28, 2006

Got a letter yesterday from the VA. I had been hoping for one saying that they had completed the investigation on my reconsideration for service connected status of my disability. I didn’t hold out any real hope that this letter was that letter, but it was the large size and full of pages so I guess I did hope a little. When I got back to the house from the mailbox I opened the letter and found a long missive telling me that I make to much money to get free medical care from the VA and that they were going to make me pay $50.00 a doctor visit and $8.00 a prescription retroactive for a year.

The only money I get is a small check each month from social security for being 100% disabled. This puts me over the limit so I have to pay for the care of the VA. Gosh, I sure am glad I put 11 years of my life into serving my country and now that the damage done to my body while performing that service has made me unable to work, the VA is right here ready to take a couple more pints of blood.

When I got inside the house I found I had a message from the congressman’s aide who was trying to find out why the VA was taking so long with my case. When I called him back, he told me the VA said I had no case pending with them, they weren’t reconsidering my claim, no paperwork had been submitted asking for such a thing. Seems my Advocate, Mr. Rosenburger had never sent it in back in June when he said he had.

Although it is a mental condition, depression has physical manifestations, like loss of appetite, insomnia, an overriding need for sleep, physical weakness, despair.

I’m going to bring up a couple of Kris Kristofferson albums on the computer and listen to some sad music for a while.

4 Comments:

At October 28, 2006 4:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kris Kristofferson is awesome. Anyone that likes Kris has a two thumbs up in my book.

I have his songs on my iPod and some of his records. I love "Help Me Make It Thru The Night" and "Please Don't Tell me How the Story Ends"...

I love sad music even on happy days. I must be odd.

Man, your VA story is deserving of many sad songs. I shall listen to man tonight in your honor.

 
At October 30, 2006 10:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, that sucks. But don't let them wear you down -- keep submitting those forms.

 
At October 31, 2006 5:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How are you today, Uncle Dave? I'm just checking in on you today. Hope you feel better.

Sherry

 
At November 03, 2006 1:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

YOOOOHOOOO! Anybody home? I'm missing reading your insights and hearing about Dogg...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home