Life with Uncle Dave

I’m a crotchety old Man living on Social Security and my wits in a trailer in the woods of Alabama. In this Blog you are likely to find ponderings and complaints about medical treatment in America, Stories about my friends and family, Rants about the economy and lots of stuff about J. Edgar Dogg, my best friend and the dumbest animal in Alabama.

Friday, July 21, 2006

Good news

I had a doctor’s appointment today at the VA in Birmingham. It was with my Primary Care Physician Dr Moates. I like him. We end up talking about everything under the sun and he never tries to get me out as quick as possible like some of the other doctors. Today’s off the subject discussion was his truly twisted and unnatural love of paisley ties. Of course I did feel a little uppity, sitting there in a pair of Carhartt overalls and a Mensa tee shirt dispensing fashion advice.

He went over the results of the stress test that I took a month ago that I got the bits and pieces of information about at my last appointment. I feel much better now. I’m not sure why, nothing has changed from what I was told last time, but he tried to evaluate the information revealed by the test and give me some idea of what it all meant and what I can really expect to have happen health wise in the near future. Basically, I am not in any immediate danger of dying. There is damage to my heart and it will effect my ability to do things. OK, It will slow me down, or has slowed me down, but the damage is not as bad as it sounded and the results are not as life altering as I thought. One side of my heart has lost 40% of its pumping power not 75% as I thought and the other side is only slightly enlarged.

What it really means is that I should not, invest in any lifetime memberships or multiyear subscriptions to magazines.

I got that it is very important that I do better at controlling my blood pressure and blood sugar, and that I try to stay away from stress. So you guys should try not to stress me out. I’ve scheduled a talk with J. Edgar Dogg for tomorrow morning on just this subject. When he went to bed he was mumbling something under his breath about life insurance not being as good an investment as he thought it was.

The doctor even thinks I may be able to get the sinus surgery I need, after-all.

So the big plans for travel are back on, just with a new stretched/out laid back time line.

I feel much better now.

Uncle Dave

1 Comments:

At July 23, 2006 8:28 AM, Blogger Have Myelin? said...

happy to hear you feel better!

my dad gave up on controlling his blood sugar, blood pressure, and is giving up on the possibility of chemo. things are going downhill. that bites.

keep it up.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home