Life with Uncle Dave

I’m a crotchety old Man living on Social Security and my wits in a trailer in the woods of Alabama. In this Blog you are likely to find ponderings and complaints about medical treatment in America, Stories about my friends and family, Rants about the economy and lots of stuff about J. Edgar Dogg, my best friend and the dumbest animal in Alabama.

Monday, July 17, 2006

I Like Comments


I like Comments! They are how I can tell if anyone is reading what I put up here, But please try to be civil. It’s important to me that communication comes from a basic respect for other people. What I mean is that if you disagree with me, that’s good but don’t denigrate me because I have an opinion that differs from yours. If you can’t find a way to say something with civility, please find another forum. If you have no idea what I am talking about, it’s probably because I remove the more obnoxious comments before most viewers can see them. And that is as close as I will be getting to censorship…ever.

Back to my stuff now.

I wrote a while ago that I was planning to go on the road. That is still the plan, but a somewhat long term plan not something I will be doing in the next month or so. I have to wait until the government makes a determination on my status as a "Service Connected Disabled Veteran." The simple fact is that if they do not find in my favor, I will not have enough money on an ongoing basis to do any traveling. With gas at $2.75 to $3.00/galllon I can’t go far and won’t be able to afford to eat once I get there. There are few if any sure things in this life. We all have heard of Death and Taxes but "Gas Prices Will Rise" is probably pretty safe as another.

I have contemplated less expensive methods of travel and while some sound very interesting, my physical limitations rule most of them out.

Picture if you will a Honda 650 Nigh Hawk Motorcycle with a hitch welded on the back pulling a 500 pound utility trailer hauling a tent, camping equipment, my cloths and J. Edgar Dogg’s crate. To me, that’s right up there with Along Came Bronson as far as adventure, but when you try to picture the fat man who hasn’t the strength to throw his leg over the bike much less ride away into the sunset, it loses a lot of its allure. I love the concept, it’s the actual performance where it all falls down.

The second fantasy in line involves the mini van I drive and a trailer small enough for me to pull it with said van. I have found a trailer that fits the requirement on paper, but I worry that it might be pushing the edge of the towing capabilities of my van and the co-existing capabilities of J. Dogg and myself. 8’ X 16’ is pretty tight living quarters for an old man and a very rambunctious dog. This one still has possibilities but uses at least 3 times as much gas as the motorcycle based gypsy caravan.

Next in line is building a trailer of my own design that weights less and is more "visually interesting" than a commercially produced trailer. While this one is actually the hardest one to do, it produces the most mental stimulus and just plain mental fun of any of the other proposals. Not a practical application, but a great way to stimulate my mind and my need to design. I have pictures and plans!

What will in all probability be the mode of transport for my great adventure is a larger commercially built trailer pulled by a much larger tow vehicle than I currently drive. This is of course based on my getting the VA Disability and of course the corresponding larger amount of monthly income.

We shall see.

Uncle Dave

8 Comments:

At July 18, 2006 2:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I typed out a whole comment and then realized I had to register or something. I just wanted to let you know I do read your blog periodically and enjoy it. I am sorry if there are some who are giving you negative comments. I just wanted to send you some love from us.

 
At July 18, 2006 1:03 PM, Blogger Uncle Dave said...

Hun,

It's not a mater of negative comments. That's what they're for. I want comments that challenge me, just not comments that call me a fool for having the opinions that I have.

Uncle Dave

 
At July 19, 2006 10:35 AM, Blogger Uncle Dave said...

I know you are very intellegent and I love you very much. What maddens me about you are not your liberal ideas, but the fact thay you miss the point so completely.

Dad

 
At July 19, 2006 7:22 PM, Blogger Have Myelin? said...

Hey Jen, listen to your Dad! :-)

And uhhh, let me join those saying "sorry about the negative comments" and yeah I know, you want to be challenged, not called a fool.

I think quite often readers can see who the fool is! (and it's not YOU)

Love your blog and hope you get your VA Diability!

 
At July 20, 2006 12:35 PM, Blogger Uncle Dave said...

Myelin,

It is just as bad to call someone who posts a negative comment a fool as it is for them to call me one. Please don't do that.

I probably should have left the two comments up that started all this. They were based on blogs that were several weeks back and not from any current posters.

I took them down as soon as I saw them so most of you probably didn't see them

I request a little civility and a lot of people who have been civil seem to think I am attacking them.

Go Figure.

 
At July 20, 2006 1:08 PM, Blogger Have Myelin? said...

I'm sorry I wasn't clear. I didn't call anyone a fool, what I meant was that when one reads a blog, a newspaper article, etc., they themselves will determine if one is being a "fool" just by what they wrote. (or said) Depending on the format, it does not necessarily invite an invitation to argue via name-calling.

Like grandpa used to say, "Loose Lips Sink Ships and Friends" and I thought he was a smart man...

I hope that is clear... I sometimes have difficulty with what I am trying to say simply because of the cognitive difficulties I have.

Hope you re-read my comment and see that I didn't call anyone a fool nor did I intend to. :-(

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

 
At July 20, 2006 1:17 PM, Blogger Uncle Dave said...

Thank you for the clairafication, I am sorry if I am a bit touchy at the moment.

 
At July 20, 2006 6:28 PM, Blogger Have Myelin? said...

No problem!

I'm finding that I'm getting in all sorts of problems with my cognitive difficulties... people are not understanding what I MEANT and then when I go back and read or think about how I worded something, I'm like uhhhhhhh, ooopsie!

I am trying to be more careful. MS really messes with your mind, especially when you're on drugs. ARGH! (BTW- I'm referring to the legal kind, LOL)

Have a nice day.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home